Saturday 13 June 2009

Downsizing

When I called in the new Leader designate, Ken Maddock, last Monday it was always my intention to make his odyssey from opposition to power as stressless as possible. It is not easy to take on the reins of office after so long as a mere onlooker. I gave him some home truths and warned him of the difficulties ahead. I was struck by his innocent expression and winning smile. It was at this point in our conversation that I made a small but very generous offer. "Why not move into my offce, Ken. You will need the space for meetings. Politics must be consensual. But a Chief Executive merely makes up his mind and acts alone." Ken readily accepted and I have already located a bijou bolt-hole elsewhere in County Hall where I will continue to guide us all towards the goals of still greater excellence.

No comments: