Wednesday 9 July 2008

Getting Geared Up for the Big One


I was always a proud Sturmey-Archer sort of chap. I backed British. But as the race game becomes ever tougher (and when the Tour de France makes it down to Somerset again you will be able to see exactly what I am talking about) the job of keeping everything well oiled is becoming still more complex. I know. I ride. And I read the learned publications with special care too. The International Journal of Urology has just issued a treatise about the bodily risks of riding. Surgeon Vinod Nargund, from St Bartholomew's Hospital in London, said that cycling restricts blood flow and generates excessive heat. This could result in men having difficulty with erections. More than 60% of male cyclists experience genital numbness, according to Mr Nargund. He is, I am sure, not far off the mark. But perhaps fellow occupants of the racing saddle would like to know my secret - chamois cream. This splendid substance lubricates parts that might otherwise uncomfortably chafe. I invite all comers to apply it liberally and I raise my glass to its inventor. Bottoms up!

No comments: